Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Class Schedule…for those of you who are interested in knowing my every Spanish move (ahem…padres)

So, I am taking 15 credits here in Toledo, at the Fundacion Ortega y Gasset. My usual course load at ND is around 18 credits, so mazal tov to this semester. Plus, no science classes; I'm really trying to imagine taking a science course in Spanish. And if you aren't overly observant, I will just point out to you that I only have classes three days a week; again, mazal tov. And I get siestas every day. Spain rocks.

SUNDAY: In Spain, the weekend doesn't end on Sundays.
MONDAY: From 9 AM - 12 PM, I have a three-hour internship in a local elementary school for my immigration service-learning class on Tuesdays.
TUESDAY: I have a service-learning class about immigration at 8:40 AM; my madre (not Sue but my Spanish madre) was completely baffled by the idea that I could have class so early. The stores and businesses in Toledo don't even open until 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM. Joder. Grandes maestros de España (art history) comes next at 12:55 PM and then again at 4:55 PM.
WEDNESDAY: Spanish philosophy class at 8:40 AM; again, baffling by Spanish standards. Then, a Spanish culture class at 11:30 AM and again at 4:55 PM. I finish off the day with philosophy at 6:20 PM.
THURSDAY: I sleep in until noon, and then it's time to head to Spanish history class at 12:55 PM. Then, another history class at 4:55 PM. And finally, the weekend. I thought it would never come.
FRIDAY: It's the weekend. Palabra a tu madre.
SATURDAY: See Friday's entry.

Just to give you a general idea of what my classes are like, they are all in Spanish (which is the biggest challenge of all) and last for an hour and fifteen minutes (which is a really long time to concentrate on a lecture in Spanish). I am most excited about my immigration service-learning class, which involves not only classwork but also volunteer experience in the community. Biggest hurdle to overcome since starting classes: should I right my notes in English or Spanish? Answer: I have decided to write as much of las lecturas in Spanish as possible and resort to English when the Spanish word is just too much for me to handle. Por ejemplo, why write “pensamiento” when you can just write “thought”? Why bother to waste paper on “
apasiguemiento” when you can say “passivity”? And when it just so happens that I can think of neither English nor Spanish words to write down, I resort to using anything close to the general gist of things.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I would avoid using "fortunately" in place of "desafortunadamente", even though it does save paper, since they are different words. Think about it. Joder.

Little Bagel said...

haha, i was just about to post on the same thing as jill. you should probably waste space on desafortunadamente so that you aren't totally confused when you go back to study for an exam. ;)